Category Archives: Lancashire County Council

Please sign e-petition on the A6 in Lancaster

Share Button

Dynamo (Lancaster & District Cycle Campaign) has been campaigning for safety improvements on the A6 for several years. We stepped this up in December 2014 when we wrote to Lancashire County Council about the awful accident statistics and demanded action. We then worked up a list of improvements, together with the Council’s Road Safety Manager, in April 2015. The significant improvements needed relate to the junctions where accidents have occurred, as well as minor lining and signing updates. In all this time, the Council has managed only the lining and signing and has even back tracked on promises to complete the work.

Dynamo has decided that it is essential to show a huge public support for County to implement these A6 safety measures in full and urgently. We have therefore launched an official e-petition on the County’s website which will run for 2 months. Please do go online and support this campaign, it can be found at bit.ly/A6-safety  Don’t be put off by the need to register on the e-petition site: it only takes one minute to do.

We are also going to run a paper petition in tandem with the e-petition.  Please let me know if you can take some paper forms to get signatures.  Please note that people must NOT sign both the e-petition and the paper petition.

Please also share as widely as you can with cycling groups, cyclists, parents who want to keep their children safe, and anybody else who cares about the safety of vulnerable road users.

Patricia Clarke

https://lancasterdynamo.wordpress.com/

I through this best place to post this e-mail which landed in my inbox this week personally I don’t cycle along the A6 that often in Lancaster and only cross it in Slyne in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon on my commute on my bike to work and then home.

Simeon Orme  

Like!
0

Cycling e-petitions to sign

Share Button

The local Cycle Campaigning Group Dynamo would like your help with two e-petitions that they currently got running on the Lancashire County Councils website:

  1. A petition for a direct, dedicated cycle route between Heysham and Lancaster.
  2. A petition to cycle through out Lancaster City Centre at Rush hours.
Like!
0

Lancaster and Morecambe Cycle Forum Gregson Institute Moor Lane, Lancaster, 6pm Tuesday 29th May 2012

Share Button

Agenda

1) Welcome, introductions and apologies

2) Minutes of previous meeting

3) Current Schemes

· Chapel St

· Stonewell Toucan

4) Possible Future Schemes

· Local Sustainable Transport Fund Project

· A6 City Centre – University

· Leach House Lane by University

· Lune Valley Cycle Path

· Morecambe Town Centre and links to promenade

· Sainsburys Morecambe

· Spring Garden St, Lancaster

5) Lancaster City Centre Pedestrian Order Review

see http://www.lancaster.gov.uk/news/2012/mar/3159citycentretraffic

6) Temporary traffic management arrangements in bus station area to accommodate flood relief sewer works

7) Break out session (in groups) – What would improve my regular cycle route (15 minutes)

8 Cycle Training (Damian Bonsall – CTC)

9) Events

· Velocity Festival (see updates)

· Morecambe Family Cycling Day

10) Mountain Biking

11) Activities by employers and cycle groups to promote cycling

(See University of Cumbria update and sustrans-bike-it-newsletter-may-2012.pdf)

12) Lancashire Sports Partnership Cycling Action Plan (Lancashire Sports Partnership Cycling Action Plan)

13) Proposed Welsh Assembly legislation on cycling

See http://www.bikehub.co.uk/news/bike-to-work/welsh-assembly-to-enforce-provision-of-routes-for-cyclists-and-pedestrians/

Minutes  of 6 February 2012 meeting of Lancaster and Morecambe Cycle Forum

Present

Ian Welsby Public Realm Manager Area North, Lancashire County Council

Alasdair Simpson, Sustainable Travel, Lancashire County Council

Gary Bowker, Regeneration and Projects, Lancaster City Council

Patricia Clarke, Dynamo

Dick Follows, Dynamo

Paul Stubbins, Dynamo

Peter Edge, CTC, Sustrans Ranger, Wray Parish Council

David Bedding, Sustrans Ranger

Joy Greenwood

Pat Douglass

Rachel Scott

Damian Bonsall, CTC Bike Club

Simeon Orme, Rough Stuff Fellowship

Matt Hodges, CTC

Andy Beanland, Bentham Environmentally Sustainable Town (BEST)

Holly Smith, Lancaster Freewheelers Cycle Cooperative

Sarah McGowan, Lancaster Freewheelers Cycle Cooperative

Apologies (received after the meeting)

Nick Hewitt, Lancaster University

Phil Longton, Lancaster University

Darren Axe, Lancaster University (Green Lancaster)

1. Minutes of Previous meeting

Agreed

Date on minutes of previous meeting should be October not June

2. Infrastructure

2.1 Recently completed schemes

a) Westgate / Heysham High

Using a grant from Sustrans for school links and a contribution from a developer the cycle path on the north side of Westgate has been extended over the railway bridge to Osborne Road and a cycle path opened by Heysham High. An inland cycle route from Morecambe to Heysham has been signed on quiet roads

b) Lune Valley Cycle Path

· The Lune Valley cycle path had been extended by 3/4 km east of Bull Beck

· Completion of Lune Valley cycle path to Hornby and Wray had been raised by Michael Helm (Ellel Parish Council) at 3 tier forum between County, City and Parish Councils. There had been general support for the proposal and it is likely that it would be included in Environment Directorate Commissioning Plan. Funding and land ownership are still major issues to be overcome before the path could be extended.

· Matthew Hodge mentioned that the chicane at end of new cycle path was difficult to get a tandem or trailer bike through (This has since been done)

· Peter Edge stressed need to get route through to Wray. B road between Wray and Hornby was used by Lancashire Cycleway and Way of Roses and was narrow, bendy and unpleasant to cycle on

· Andy Beanland who was from Bentham stressed need to get route to Wennington. This would be expensive as there was a river bridge missing

2.2 Schemes currently being constructed

a) Lune Aqueduct

As part of the restoration of the Lune Aqueduct a ramp is being provided from the canal towpath to the riverside cycle path.

The work was due to be complete in spring with an opening event in July.

2.3 Proposed schemes

a) Pointer Roundabout

Works due to start in early March

b) Chapel St

.

· It was proposed to relocate the contra flow cycle lane on east side of street as there had been 4 accidents at Butterfield St and 5 at the car park entrance involving drivers failing to see cyclists on the cycle lane

· After comments from cyclists the scheme was being reviewed

· It was hoped to do the work in May when the road was closed for gas mains work

c) Spring Garden St

To enable cyclists to use the street two way and link to the toucan it was proposed to convert the footway on the south side to a cycle track. This scheme was funded by a developer contribution.

d) Middleton Way, Heysham

A new toucan crossing was being provided by a primary care centre development. This would also link the Mossgate area to Heysham village, St Peter’s Primary School and Promenade

e) Sainsburys’ Morecambe

Two toucan crossings had been installed on Lancaster Road outside the new Sainsburys. There was a need for linking cycle paths and a link to the Greenway.

Gary Bowker to check the amount of developer funding available

2.4 Other infrastructure matters

a) Canal towpath Carnforth to Lancaster

The surface of the canal towpath between Lancaster and Carnforth was about 10 years old. There was a need to resurface the towpath to stop the surface deteriorating. Both the County Council and Dynamo had raised the matter with British Waterways

b) Way of Roses

· The route was felt to be a success. A new cycle path was being installed by North Yorkshire on the A65 between Clapham and Austwick. A cycle counter would be installed and surveys carried which would enable an estimate of use of the route to be made.

· The route was being promoted in Holland and Belgium. There was a market for European cyclists coming off the ferry at Hull cycling across the country one way and returning another

c) A6 Corridor Study

A study of the A6 corridor from Lancaster to the M6 south of Galgate was being carried out by Jacobs Consultants. At the request of Dynamo a meeting had been set up with Jacobs to allow cyclists’ groups to input into the study

d) Local Sustainable Transport Fund

The County Council’s bid to the Local Sustainable Transport Fund was due to go in at the end of February with the outcome known at the end of May

3. Proposal by Dynamo to take over running of the meeting

To give members of the forum more chance to put forward their views and input into the development of cycling in the areas it have been suggested that Dynamo take over responsibility for managing the meeting and coordinating the agenda

Peter Edge said it would be difficult for an organisation other than the council to run the meeting as they would have less of an idea of everything that was going on

It was agreed that the County Council would continue to run the forum. However they would ask members of the forum if there were any issues they wanted to include on the agenda in advance of the forum and the forum would include breakout sessions in future

4. Breakout Session

What 3 things would do most to encourage cycling in the area.

Group 1

Access to City Centre

Changing people’s perception of cyclists

Group 2

Extend 20 mph to all roads

Dedicated cycle lanes on A6

Driver education (e.g. encouraging them to obey speed limits)

Group 3

Access to City Centre (Market St / New St)

Encourage drivers to obey 20 mph speed limits them Publicity

Group 4

Safe infrastructure

Driver education

Group 4 also express regret at ending of Bike it project

Gary Bowker mentioned that there was no one solution and there was a need for investment in a number of different areas sustained over several years.

Suggestion for break out session at next meeting

What would improve my regular cycle route?

5. Promotion

5.1 Cycle training

CTC were offering the County Council’s trial adult cycle training scheme in Lancaster. Take up to date had been low due to time of year. All trainees had been women so far ranging from somebody who wanted the confidence to ride on the canal to people wanting to cycle on road

5.2 Freewheelers Cycle Workshop

Freewheelers were a new cycle workshop cooperative that had been set up in Denis St close to the centre of Lancaster by the canal.

They offered bike repair, cycle recycling, bike maintenance course and a tool club. They could also help with publicity events such as Dr Bike

www.freewheelersbicycleworkshop.org.uk

5.3 Olympic Torch

Olympic Torch was coming through Lancaster on 22nd Junel. There was a desire to do something round cycling at the event. One possibility was a cycle race on closed roads on the east side of the city centre either in the evening or the following Sunday

5.4 Preston Cycling Events

Sky Ride Sunday 17th June mass participation event on closed roads in the city and on cycle paths south of the river

Guild Wheel Opening 19th August Opening of new 21 mile circular route round Preston to celebrate 2012 linking the river corridor with the north of the city. The event was being sponsored by Spar, who are based in Preston

5.5 Mountain Biking

· Paul Stubbs said there was a need to do more to promote local mountain bikes to discourage people from travelling elsewhere to mountain bike centres

· Other members of the forum mentioned that the problem was that there were few bridleways in the district. Cyclists are allowed to cycle on bridleways.

· Peter Edge mentioned that shooters track up Ward Stone would make a good mountain route, but cyclists were not allowed to use it.

· The County Council’s Rights of Way Improvement plan aimed to increase the number of bridleway, but had little money attached to it.

· British Horse Society had produced a bridleway strategy for the county about 10 years ago.

· There was a County Access Forum which Peter Edge was a member..

· The CTC website gave advice on claiming public rights of way. ]

· Rough Stuff Fellowship could give advice on local routes

Rough Stuff Fellowships website include details of local mountain bike routes

www.southlakesgroup.org/routes and cafés www.cafe.southlakesgroup.org

5.6 University of Lancaster

There was felt to be a need for more cycle parking at the university with bikes being attached to railings and drain pipes

5.7 University of Cumbria

The University had included an article on the travel to work event in their magazine thus doubling the publicity value of the event

Lancaster Cycle Forum May 2012 Updates

VeloCity Festival June 22 to 24

This includes

· Lancaster City Centre Cycling Racing, Friday evening

· BMX demonstration – Morecambe Battery, Sunday

· Go Ride Racing – Saltayre, Saturday

· Family Cycle Rides, from Saltayre at 12.15 on Saturday and Sunday

Further information http://www.lancaster.gov.uk/sports-and-leisure/festivals-events/velocity-festival-programme-events/#jetski

University of Cumbria

This academic year has been the best yet for our staff and student bike loan scheme.  All the bikes have been out on loan and at one point we had a waiting list.  The University and the Students’ Union have done a lot of work to promote the availability of the bikes and this is paying off.  The University are looking at a rolling programme of replacement for the bikes which are now two years old.

In 2009 cycling at our Lancaster campus was running at under 1% mode share.  By March 2011 this had doubled to 2%.  Not big numbers but anecdotal evidence suggests that the number of cyclists is continuing to grow, if slowly.  The proximity of the campus to the city centre means a large number of people get to the campus on foot.

Across the University including Penrith and Cumbria as a whole, 7% of our staff have now used Cycle Scheme to get hold of a bike since we started this in 2009.  The University continue to do things to help cyclists – for example Dr Bike checks and Roadshows.

Potholes

In 2011/12 the Lancashire County Council set a target to fill in 90% of potholes within 30 days of being reported. There are standards on how quickly potholes are filled in according to their depth. The standard was achieved between July 2011 and March 2012. Potholes are picked up by roads being inspected on a regular basis and people reporting potholes.

You can report potholes via the highway fault line http://eforms.lancashire.gov.uk/AF/an/default.aspx/RenderForm/?F.Name=FY26qap_66j

Telephone 0845 053 0011

Like!
0

Agenda for tomorrow Lancaster and Morecambe Cycle Forum at Gregson Institute Moor Lane, Lancaster starting at 6pm Monday 6th February 2012

Share Button

Agenda

1) Welcome, introductions and apologies

2) Minutes of previous meeting

3) Proposal by Dynamo to take over running of meeting (David Horton)

4) Infrastructure (Alasdair Simpson)

Completed schemes (or nearly complete)

· Lune Valley Cycle Path Extension (Bull Beck)

· Heysham High / Westgate

Works in progress

· Lune Aqueduct

Update on proposed scheme

· Stonewell Toucan, Lancaster

· A6/A588 Pointer Roundabout, Lancaster

· Chapel St contra-flow cycle lane, Lancaster

· Spring Garden St, Lancaster

· Middleton Way, Heysham

· Sainsburys, Morecambe

Other matters

· Cycle parking Lancaster Station

· Surfacing of canal towpath Lancaster – Carnforth

· Way of Roses Route

5) A6 Corridor Study and Local Sustainable Transport Fund Bid (Alasdair Simpson)

6) Break out session (in groups) – What three things would do most to increase cycle use in the district? (15 minutes)

7) Freewheelers Cycle Cooperative (Aurora Trujillo)

8/ Cycle Training (Damian Bonsall – CTC)

9) Cycle Promotion (Dynamo)

· Olympic torch

· Local mountain biking routes

10) Activities by employers and cycle groups to promote cycling

Like!
0

Crook O’Lune East Bridge to reopen

Share Button

THE bridge at the Crook O’ Lune will reopen today (Wednesday 26 October).

The listed structure was closed in March after an inspection showed problems, particularly with the timber beams supporting the deck.

The county council has carried out work to provide a new temporary bridge deck, supported by scaffolding, to allow people to use it again.

A scaffolding company has constructed a walkway, above the current bridge deck, which will be supported by the original metal arch structure beneath. The county council has then put down a non-slip surface ahead of its reopening.

The current diversion, which redirects people over the Caton Lune Bridge on Low Road, will be removed when work on the temporary bridge and some maintenance works on Caton Lune Bridge are complete.

Officers are currently exploring options to attract outside grant funding to help to pay for a refit which would be needed to completely restore the bridge.

The bridge near the Crook O’ Lune picnic site and Millennium Park carries the River Lune Cycleway which is a popular route for cyclists, walkers and horse riders.

Like!
0

20 mph speed limits in Lancashire

Share Button

The schemes included in Lancashire County Council’s 20 mph programme for this year are listed on the Council’s website at this link

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/web/view.asp?siteid=6018&pageid=34540&e=e

Like!
0

Lancashire Local Transport Plan Implenentation Plan 2011 – 2013

Share Button
If interest in this sort of thing here a link to the draft three year implementation
 plan for the Local Transport. This outlines the schemes which Lancashire
 County Council plan to do over the next 3 years.

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/web/?siteid=5489&pageid=29612
 You can forward any comments to LTP3.forum@lancashire.gov.uk.  
Like!
0

Lancaster Cycle Forum

Share Button

Following on from the cycling demonstration project, the Lancashire County Council as decide to set up a Lancaster and Morecambe Cycle Forum. The first meeting will be at the Gregson Institute on Moor Lane on Wednesday 26th June at 6pm.

Agenda for the first meeting

  1. Welcome to group and introductions.
  2. Purpose of group –terms of reference.
  3. Review of current situation: Successes of cycling demonstration project. What else do we need to do?
  4. Infrastructure Programme.
  5. Promotional activities, including cycle training.
  6. Activities by employers and cycle groups to promote cycling.

Terms of Reference of the Forum

Aim

To increase cycling levels in the district.

Purpose

1] To enable all types of cyclists.

  • To input into future plans to increase cycle use and safety in the district.
  • To input into cycling, transport, development and other proposals that effect cycling in the district.
  • To input promotional plans.
  • To raise significant issues that are concern to them.

2] To coordinate the activities of the two councils, employers, the third sector and voluntary groups to promote cycling.

3] Review progress in increasing cycle use and improving cycle safety in the district.

Membership

The membership will vary from meeting to meeting, but include: Cycling organisations, Local cycle campaign groups, Cycle Clubs, People who cycle to major employers in the area, Cycle related businesses and Social enterprises, Schools, Major employers and Officers from County and City Councils.

The group also welcomes the views of new and infrequent cyclists, students and young people.

Meeting frequency

The forum will meet 2 or 3 times a year.

So what do you think about this new body for cycling in North Lancashire area? I shall going to the first meeting of forum.

Like!
0

Cycle Path Closure

Share Button

The cycle path between Sylvester Street and Car House Lane is to be closed for 2 months from 10th January 09 to allow works to take place on the land between the path and railway. There are no plans by the contractor for a diversionary route to be put in place.

Lancaster City Council would like to point out the closure has not been authorised by them but by Lancashire Countryside Service. The City Council realise the inconvenience this may cause and asked Lancashire Countryside Service why this closure has been allowed without a diverson being put in place.

It wish complain about this! Sent your e-mails to countrysideservices@lancashire.gov.uk

For update on this checkout latest cycling newsletter from Lancaster City Council at this link.

Like!
0

Routes in the Northern Lancaster Urban Fringe

Share Button

Outline

This is a proposal to create quite routes for walkers, cyclists and horses leading from the northern end of the Lancaster built up area into the countryside. There will be no restrictions on residents to gain access to their properties.

The proposal is made by Lancaster Group of the Ramblers’ Association and is supported by the local cycling and horse riding groups.

Reasons

The Lancashire Rights of way Improvement Plan includes policies to improve rights of way especially from built up  areas into the countryside and for the less able.

Lancaster has a cycle town initiative.

There is a shortage of horse riding routes.

The Inspector for the Heysham-M6 link road required more study of cycle routes on the route.

The Proposals

  1. Change the northern section of Powder House Lane to a Restricted Byway. This is very narrow between high hedges with almost no passing places. At present this has no restrictions except a width restriction for access. There are residents only at the very northern end. Althrough this route would end on a busy, narrow road there is potential to create a link from the end of Powder House Lane on Hasty Brow to the Shore Road.
  2. Change the section of Barley Cop Lane from the intersection with Powder House Lane to the turning circle near the end of Hammerton Hall Lane to a Restricted Byway.This is wide between hedges but with bad visibility at the railway bridge. There is often excessive speed with consequent reduced safety and loss of amenity to non-motorised traffic.This section contains the entrance to the Crematorium which has a one way system exiting onto the southern section of Powder House Lane. Fast traffic is detrimental to the solemnity of the area. The restriction would effectively make the Crematorium entrance at the cross roads with a clear ‘Crematorium traffic only’ sign.
  3. Make Foley Lane into a footpath or bridleway, depending on the status of the canal tow path where it goes. This is narrow lane giving access to the canal towpath. There are residents at Foley Farm. The Lane to the turning circle on Barley Cop Lane would be access only.
  4. Make Hammerton Hall Lane from Barley Cop Lane to the A6 a Restricted Byway. This is a very narrow lane between hedges with few passing places and no residents. It has no entry, except for access signs.
  5. Make Green Lane into a Restricted Byway. It is a narrow and largely unmetalled track which is only just passable by private car. There are a few residents at the North end.
  6. Create Grimshaw Lane into a Restricted Byway or Bridleway. It is a very narrow track with high hedges between the M6 bridge where two bridleways join, to the A683 near Denny Beck. Its status is not clear.

Benefits

Briefly

  • Its hits a lot of PROWIP targets.
  • It Helps people get out of town easily and safely.
  • It extends walking, cycling and riding networks to create more loop routes.
  • It increases safety by reducing motor traffic on narrow lanes.
  • It reduces some ‘rat-running’ routes.
  • It could reduce the cost of the link road.

Appendix 1

The proposed Heysham-M6 Link.

The proposed road cuts the sections of Powder House Lane, Foley Lane and Green Lane that are proposed here to be downgraded. A slight realigment of the section of Barley Cop Lane near the cross roads may be involved. These are little used routes and are likely to be closed during the construction. There seems to be little reason why the proposed changes not be made before the decision is made. Some savings in design standards may be made by making the changes before the road design is finalised and the construction  starts. Grimshaw Lane is not affected by the new road.

Appendix 2

Extracts from the Lancashire CC Public Rights of Way Improvement Plan.

Policy IIN1: In deciding our improvement priorities, we will take into account the extent to which the improved route would contribute to:

– improving communitiy-to-community and community-to-countryside links;

-promotion of health walks;

Policy IIN6: We will develop working practices that: -ensure the needs of people with reduced mobility and visual impairment are taken into account particularly the need to minimise physical barriers (e.g. steps, stiles and bridges);

Policy BCC1: Where possible, cost effective and safe, and without unacceptable enviromental effects, we will:

-Create new sections of bridleway which can be used to provide the missing links in bridleway circuits or networks, or which can be used to provide access to bridleway networks from towns and villages;

-improve existing bridleways;

-actively seek funding to implement this policy.

Policy BCC3: We will promote better use of the existing network of bridleways and off-road cycling circuits in areas where we assess there to be an unmet need, including cross-border links.

Policy CCL2: We will work with local authority departments, user groups and community representatives as partners to:

-extend the criteria for assessing road crossings to include benefits of recreation and links to the wider countryside;

-identify and prioritize the locations for safe crossings in order to support a programme of improvements works.

Policy HRO2: We will adot working practices that:

-are consistent with best practice for routes with higher rights;

-make use of our powers to introduce Traffic Regulation Orders to manage the use of rights of ways, where necessary and appropriate.

Policy HRO3: We will identify and/or support Quiet Lane and Greenways initiatives that :

-implement the Forest of Bowland Quiet Lanes and Greenways Project, and will learn from experience in the County and nationally;

-offer potential public benefits at proportionate coats.

The above was put together by Brian Jones of the Lancaster Group of the Ramblers’ Association and who has  sent the above proposals to Lancashire County Highways and Lancaster City Council but he had no response from them.

Like!
0