Category Archives: Lancaster Cycling Forum

Minutes of Lancaster Cycle Forum October 2012 Meeting

Share Button

Present

Joy Greenwood, Sustrans Ranger

Nick Hewitt, Lancaster University cycle commuter

Jennifer Hutton, Cumbria University cycle commuter

Peter Edge, CTC, Sustrans Ranger, Wray Parish Council

David Bedding, Sustrans Ranger

Len Hutton, CTC

Matt Hodges, CTC

Kelly Brown, Planning, Lancaster City Council

Pat Douglass, Public Realm, Lancashire County Council

Alasdair Simpson, Sustainable Travel, Lancashire County Council

Louis Atkinson, Sustainable Travel, Lancashire County Council

Apologies

Darren Axe, Green Lancaster, Lancaster University

Phil Longton, Lancaster University Travel Plan Adviser

Aurora Trujillo, Holly Smith, Sarah McGowan, Freewheelers Cycle Cooperative

Paul Stubbins, Dynamo, John Leach, Dynamo

Gary Bowker, Regeneration and Projects, Lancaster City Council (broken ankle)

  1. Minutes of previous meeting – Agreed

  1. Matters arising

Chapel St, Lancaster – Scheme had been installed. Double yellows had been laid on the outside of the contra-flow cycle lane. Some drivers might assume it was legal to park in the cycle lane because of this, though it was illegal.

Action Lancashire Parking Services to be asked to enforce the regulations

The road is due to be effected by sewer works. When the sewer works are complete the cycle lane would be reinstated with humped crossings at side entries.

Stonewell Toucan, Lancaster- Work had started on site completing the east – west link across the north side of the city centre via Church Street.

Lancaster City Centre Pedestrian Order – An experimental order to reduce traffic coming through the pedestrian area was due to be advertised shortly. This did not include any relaxations on the current restrictions for cyclists. Once the order comes into force people have six months to object it.

The order would be advertised on the below website

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/environment/env_highways/ptros.asp

  1. Lancaster cycling statistics

3.1 Cycle Use

Active People Survey 2010/11

% of population do any cycling

Once a month, Once a week, 3 times a week and 5 times a week

 In Lancaster

23% once  month

15% once a week

8% 3 times a week

4% 5 times a week

In Lancashire

14% once a month

9% once a week

4% 3 times a week

2% 5 times a week

In England

15% once a month

10% once a week

4% 3 times a week

3% 5 times a week

Lancaster had the highest cycling levels in the North West

Cycle flows 2011

  • Automatic counters on cycle tracks + 16%

(Not all counter data is available yet)

  • Cycle flows on A roads (Department for Transport) + 9.9%

The increase was in large due to the excellent work of the Cycling Demonstration Team.

3.2 Accidents

Cyclists killed or seriously injured

In Lancaster

9.8  average in 2005 to 2009.

8 in 2010

10 in 2011

In Lancashire

74.8 average in 2005 to 2009

76 in 2010

71 in 2011

In Great Britain

Killed and seriously injured cyclists accidents had been relatively stable in Lancaster and Lancashire, whilst in the country as a whole they had increased.

Main cluster sites included A6 King St in Lancaster and Chapel St, Lancaster where a modified scheme had recently been installed. Most of accidents to cyclists were on main roads. The Lancaster – Morecambe corridor had less than the A6 south of Lancaster due to the parallel off road route.

Nick Hewitt mentioned research by TRL (Transport Research Laboratory) "Collisions involving pedal cyclists on Britain’s roads: Establishing the causes". The research involved an analysis of pedal cycle accidents between 2005 and 2007 nationally.

  • 97% of killed and seriously injured cycle accidents were main carriageway

  • 2% on cycle lanes on main carriageway

  • 1% on off road cycle paths or footways

  • Severity of injuries increased with speed limit

  • 60% of KSI accidents at or near junctions

Nick felt that there was a need for more off road cycle paths

  1. Lancaster Local Plan

Lancaster City Council were carrying a major consultation on the new Local Plan this autumn. The consultation included events at more than 20 locations throughout the district. Plans would also be available on the website www.lancaster.gov.uk/planning.gov.uk/planningpolicy and for the Morecambe Area Action Plan www.lancaster.gov.uk/morecambeaap.

The Local Plan outlined future development sites. The plans would also include cycle links. New development sites provide an opportunity to improve facilities for cyclists though there was a need to link them with existing destinations. The plan sought to promote sustainable development.

Members of the forum were encouraged to comment on the consultation

  1. Developments proposals on the south side of Lancaster

Both the Science Park and new Booths supermarket had planning permission. The second supermarket had permission refused at a planning appeal, though the developers had taken the planning permission for the Booths site to judicial review.

5.1 Booths

The Booths supermarket if it went ahead included a toucan crossing and a linking cycle path to Lawsons Bridge.

Plans: http://planning.lancaster.gov.uk/online-applications/caseDetails.do?keyVal=KZDU63IZ03800&caseType=Application

Hotel and supermarket plans and inspectors decision http://planning.lancaster.gov.uk/online-applications/caseDetails.do?keyVal=L0VFM6IZ03800&caseType=Application

5.2 Science Park

The Science Park included short sections of cycle path on the A6, toucan crossings at the junction and a linking cycle path to the University Sports Centre. As part of the detailed design for the junction it might be possible to look at lead in cycle lanes and advanced stop lines for cyclists remaining on carriageway. Members of the forum felt that there was a need for a direct cycle path from the Science Park to main university campus coming out near the Chaplaincy Centre. This would provide an alternative to Bailrigg Lane. Visibility where the cycle path crossed Bailrigg Lane would also need improving.

For plans of the proposed Science Park see http://planning.lancaster.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=M6DWN5IZ05000

5.3 Suggested Housing Sites

There are suggested large housing development sites at Whinney Carr and land north of Bailrigg Lane in the draft local plan. The sites would link well with the university and Science Park

The canal offered the best cycle route into the City Centre from Whinney Carr, though because of the width of the towpath it had limited capacity. It was suggested that Dorrington Road would be a good link to the City Centre if there was a route through the allotments.

The Bailrigg Lane site pointed towards improving the Burrow Beck corridor

For more information http://www.lancaster.gov.uk/planning/planning-policy/local-development-framework/local-planning-policy/work-in-progress/land-allocations-dpd/#Strategic_site_options

  1. A6 Corridor south of Lancaster

Cycle lanes: Without removing parking it was not possible to install cycle lanes on the A6. Both times that changes to parking regulations had been advertised on the A6 in the recent years, the proposals had result in strong opposition from residents and as a result had been dropped. South of the Boot and Shoe and by Fern Bank the A6 was too narrow for cycle lanes.

University Main Entrance: proposals to add a crossing to the traffic signals at the university entrance were being developed. This could be a toucan crossing with a linking cycle path to Five Ashes Lane. Advance Stop Lines and a central southbound cycle lane were being looked at

Proposed Booths – Science Park: It might be possible to have a shared use path on the east side of the A6

Burrow Beck: One option would be to develop a cycle route along the Burrow Beck coming out on Barton Road south of Durham Avenue. As the roads on the west side of the beck was quite quiet the need for the route was questioned, though others felt that links such as this would make the area more permeable by bicycle

Belle Vue Terrace – Palatine Av: It might be possible to widen the footway and convert it to a cycle path between these two roads. This would also link to the pelican crossing north of Fern Bank to provide a route to Ripley High School

Greaves Park – There was universal support for a route across Greaves Park from Belle Vue Terrace to Bowerham Road coming out opposite Dale St, as this provide a relatively flat alternative route to the A6 to Freehold, Ridge and Bulk missing out the city centre from south side of Lancaster

South Road – Depending on the effect on congestion it might be possible to install cycle lanes on South Road between the Pointer Roundabout and Canal.

  1. Department for Transport Cycle Safety Scheme funding

The Department for Transport have allocated £15 million to reduce accidents to cyclists, which councils have to bid for. Schemes have to be completed by December 2013. Criteria are the number of fatal and seriously injured accidents likely to be reduced and severance for cyclists.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-releases/dft-news-20120626b/

Possible schemes in Lancaster and Morecambe are

7.1 King St, Lancaster

It is proposed to install trixi mirrors at traffic junctions on King St so that drivers would have a greater chance of seeing cyclists coming up on their inside.

The cycle lanes in King St had been modified in 2010. Prior to 2010 the main accident types were either passengers getting out of vehicles in queuing traffic and opening a car door into a face of cyclist or vehicles being let out of side rides by queuing traffic colliding with cyclists in the cycle lane. Post 2010 the dominant accident type was vehicles turning left at traffic lights colliding with cyclists going straight ahead in the cycle lane. Members of the forum felt that was also a need for a road safety campaign

As the city centre as a whole acted as a barrier to people cycling in Lancaster, it is also planned to apply for money to sign alternative routes round the city centre

7.2 Central Drive / Marine Road Morecambe

There have been 3 accidents at the roundabout involving vehicles turning left towards Heysham from Central Drive colliding with cyclists going straight ahead to the Promenade, and 3 accidents involving vehicles entering the roundabout from Heysham colliding with cyclists on the circulatory carriageway.

It was proposed to install off road facilities at the roundabout with a zebra crossing by tourist information centre. The entry from Heysham could be modified so that vehicles entered the roundabout at less of angle and at a slower speed increasing their chance of seeing a cyclist on the roundabout.

7.3 Shrimp Roundabout

There have been 4 accidents to cyclists on the roundabout and 3 on Westgate between the roundabout and the Greenway. It was proposed to improve the off road facilities at the roundabout, and extend the off road route along Westgate to the roundabout.

  1. Spring Garden St, Lancaster City Centre

To link with the toucan crossing of King St it was proposed to convert the footway on the south side to an eastbound contra-flow cycle path. Because of BT boxes in the carriageway it was difficult to widen the footway so the width of the path would be less than desired in places. The contra-flow cycle lane could not safely be put on the carriageway due to delivery bays.

  1. Feedback on recent schemes

  • Pointer Roundabout – Matthew Hodges had concerns about vehicles overrunning the cycle lane on the A6 north exit from the roundabout.

  • Lune Aqueduct – The ramp down from the canal towpath was felt to be a major improvement by all.

  1. Cutting back hedges alongside highways (Matthew Hodges)

Matthew Hodges showed examples of hedges growing out over carriageways and footways. Hedges growing out over footways can make footways un-useable by pedestrians, whilst hedges out over the carriageway meant that cyclists had to ride out further into the road coming into conflict with traffic. Matthew felt that the County Council should use its powers to make landowners to cut back hedges and charge them for cutting the hedge if they failed to do so more often.

Matthew also showed examples of blocked drains that had remained blocked for a long time, included one by the Pointer Roundabout. Blocked drains should be picked up by highway inspectors. Drains are cleaned regularly. Blocked drains can result in cyclists having to ride through flooding at the side road, getting soaked or having to pull out into traffic. Flooding from blocked drains made a road less safe to ride and drive on.

  1. City Centre Cycle Race

Members of the forum thought the City Centre Race in June was a success despite the heavy rain on the day, and that the race should be repeated next year.

Like!
0

Lancaster and Morecambe Cycle Forum Gregson Institute Moor Lane, Lancaster, 6pm Tuesday 29th May 2012

Share Button

Agenda

1) Welcome, introductions and apologies

2) Minutes of previous meeting

3) Current Schemes

· Chapel St

· Stonewell Toucan

4) Possible Future Schemes

· Local Sustainable Transport Fund Project

· A6 City Centre – University

· Leach House Lane by University

· Lune Valley Cycle Path

· Morecambe Town Centre and links to promenade

· Sainsburys Morecambe

· Spring Garden St, Lancaster

5) Lancaster City Centre Pedestrian Order Review

see http://www.lancaster.gov.uk/news/2012/mar/3159citycentretraffic

6) Temporary traffic management arrangements in bus station area to accommodate flood relief sewer works

7) Break out session (in groups) – What would improve my regular cycle route (15 minutes)

8 Cycle Training (Damian Bonsall – CTC)

9) Events

· Velocity Festival (see updates)

· Morecambe Family Cycling Day

10) Mountain Biking

11) Activities by employers and cycle groups to promote cycling

(See University of Cumbria update and sustrans-bike-it-newsletter-may-2012.pdf)

12) Lancashire Sports Partnership Cycling Action Plan (Lancashire Sports Partnership Cycling Action Plan)

13) Proposed Welsh Assembly legislation on cycling

See http://www.bikehub.co.uk/news/bike-to-work/welsh-assembly-to-enforce-provision-of-routes-for-cyclists-and-pedestrians/

Minutes  of 6 February 2012 meeting of Lancaster and Morecambe Cycle Forum

Present

Ian Welsby Public Realm Manager Area North, Lancashire County Council

Alasdair Simpson, Sustainable Travel, Lancashire County Council

Gary Bowker, Regeneration and Projects, Lancaster City Council

Patricia Clarke, Dynamo

Dick Follows, Dynamo

Paul Stubbins, Dynamo

Peter Edge, CTC, Sustrans Ranger, Wray Parish Council

David Bedding, Sustrans Ranger

Joy Greenwood

Pat Douglass

Rachel Scott

Damian Bonsall, CTC Bike Club

Simeon Orme, Rough Stuff Fellowship

Matt Hodges, CTC

Andy Beanland, Bentham Environmentally Sustainable Town (BEST)

Holly Smith, Lancaster Freewheelers Cycle Cooperative

Sarah McGowan, Lancaster Freewheelers Cycle Cooperative

Apologies (received after the meeting)

Nick Hewitt, Lancaster University

Phil Longton, Lancaster University

Darren Axe, Lancaster University (Green Lancaster)

1. Minutes of Previous meeting

Agreed

Date on minutes of previous meeting should be October not June

2. Infrastructure

2.1 Recently completed schemes

a) Westgate / Heysham High

Using a grant from Sustrans for school links and a contribution from a developer the cycle path on the north side of Westgate has been extended over the railway bridge to Osborne Road and a cycle path opened by Heysham High. An inland cycle route from Morecambe to Heysham has been signed on quiet roads

b) Lune Valley Cycle Path

· The Lune Valley cycle path had been extended by 3/4 km east of Bull Beck

· Completion of Lune Valley cycle path to Hornby and Wray had been raised by Michael Helm (Ellel Parish Council) at 3 tier forum between County, City and Parish Councils. There had been general support for the proposal and it is likely that it would be included in Environment Directorate Commissioning Plan. Funding and land ownership are still major issues to be overcome before the path could be extended.

· Matthew Hodge mentioned that the chicane at end of new cycle path was difficult to get a tandem or trailer bike through (This has since been done)

· Peter Edge stressed need to get route through to Wray. B road between Wray and Hornby was used by Lancashire Cycleway and Way of Roses and was narrow, bendy and unpleasant to cycle on

· Andy Beanland who was from Bentham stressed need to get route to Wennington. This would be expensive as there was a river bridge missing

2.2 Schemes currently being constructed

a) Lune Aqueduct

As part of the restoration of the Lune Aqueduct a ramp is being provided from the canal towpath to the riverside cycle path.

The work was due to be complete in spring with an opening event in July.

2.3 Proposed schemes

a) Pointer Roundabout

Works due to start in early March

b) Chapel St

.

· It was proposed to relocate the contra flow cycle lane on east side of street as there had been 4 accidents at Butterfield St and 5 at the car park entrance involving drivers failing to see cyclists on the cycle lane

· After comments from cyclists the scheme was being reviewed

· It was hoped to do the work in May when the road was closed for gas mains work

c) Spring Garden St

To enable cyclists to use the street two way and link to the toucan it was proposed to convert the footway on the south side to a cycle track. This scheme was funded by a developer contribution.

d) Middleton Way, Heysham

A new toucan crossing was being provided by a primary care centre development. This would also link the Mossgate area to Heysham village, St Peter’s Primary School and Promenade

e) Sainsburys’ Morecambe

Two toucan crossings had been installed on Lancaster Road outside the new Sainsburys. There was a need for linking cycle paths and a link to the Greenway.

Gary Bowker to check the amount of developer funding available

2.4 Other infrastructure matters

a) Canal towpath Carnforth to Lancaster

The surface of the canal towpath between Lancaster and Carnforth was about 10 years old. There was a need to resurface the towpath to stop the surface deteriorating. Both the County Council and Dynamo had raised the matter with British Waterways

b) Way of Roses

· The route was felt to be a success. A new cycle path was being installed by North Yorkshire on the A65 between Clapham and Austwick. A cycle counter would be installed and surveys carried which would enable an estimate of use of the route to be made.

· The route was being promoted in Holland and Belgium. There was a market for European cyclists coming off the ferry at Hull cycling across the country one way and returning another

c) A6 Corridor Study

A study of the A6 corridor from Lancaster to the M6 south of Galgate was being carried out by Jacobs Consultants. At the request of Dynamo a meeting had been set up with Jacobs to allow cyclists’ groups to input into the study

d) Local Sustainable Transport Fund

The County Council’s bid to the Local Sustainable Transport Fund was due to go in at the end of February with the outcome known at the end of May

3. Proposal by Dynamo to take over running of the meeting

To give members of the forum more chance to put forward their views and input into the development of cycling in the areas it have been suggested that Dynamo take over responsibility for managing the meeting and coordinating the agenda

Peter Edge said it would be difficult for an organisation other than the council to run the meeting as they would have less of an idea of everything that was going on

It was agreed that the County Council would continue to run the forum. However they would ask members of the forum if there were any issues they wanted to include on the agenda in advance of the forum and the forum would include breakout sessions in future

4. Breakout Session

What 3 things would do most to encourage cycling in the area.

Group 1

Access to City Centre

Changing people’s perception of cyclists

Group 2

Extend 20 mph to all roads

Dedicated cycle lanes on A6

Driver education (e.g. encouraging them to obey speed limits)

Group 3

Access to City Centre (Market St / New St)

Encourage drivers to obey 20 mph speed limits them Publicity

Group 4

Safe infrastructure

Driver education

Group 4 also express regret at ending of Bike it project

Gary Bowker mentioned that there was no one solution and there was a need for investment in a number of different areas sustained over several years.

Suggestion for break out session at next meeting

What would improve my regular cycle route?

5. Promotion

5.1 Cycle training

CTC were offering the County Council’s trial adult cycle training scheme in Lancaster. Take up to date had been low due to time of year. All trainees had been women so far ranging from somebody who wanted the confidence to ride on the canal to people wanting to cycle on road

5.2 Freewheelers Cycle Workshop

Freewheelers were a new cycle workshop cooperative that had been set up in Denis St close to the centre of Lancaster by the canal.

They offered bike repair, cycle recycling, bike maintenance course and a tool club. They could also help with publicity events such as Dr Bike

www.freewheelersbicycleworkshop.org.uk

5.3 Olympic Torch

Olympic Torch was coming through Lancaster on 22nd Junel. There was a desire to do something round cycling at the event. One possibility was a cycle race on closed roads on the east side of the city centre either in the evening or the following Sunday

5.4 Preston Cycling Events

Sky Ride Sunday 17th June mass participation event on closed roads in the city and on cycle paths south of the river

Guild Wheel Opening 19th August Opening of new 21 mile circular route round Preston to celebrate 2012 linking the river corridor with the north of the city. The event was being sponsored by Spar, who are based in Preston

5.5 Mountain Biking

· Paul Stubbs said there was a need to do more to promote local mountain bikes to discourage people from travelling elsewhere to mountain bike centres

· Other members of the forum mentioned that the problem was that there were few bridleways in the district. Cyclists are allowed to cycle on bridleways.

· Peter Edge mentioned that shooters track up Ward Stone would make a good mountain route, but cyclists were not allowed to use it.

· The County Council’s Rights of Way Improvement plan aimed to increase the number of bridleway, but had little money attached to it.

· British Horse Society had produced a bridleway strategy for the county about 10 years ago.

· There was a County Access Forum which Peter Edge was a member..

· The CTC website gave advice on claiming public rights of way. ]

· Rough Stuff Fellowship could give advice on local routes

Rough Stuff Fellowships website include details of local mountain bike routes

www.southlakesgroup.org/routes and cafés www.cafe.southlakesgroup.org

5.6 University of Lancaster

There was felt to be a need for more cycle parking at the university with bikes being attached to railings and drain pipes

5.7 University of Cumbria

The University had included an article on the travel to work event in their magazine thus doubling the publicity value of the event

Lancaster Cycle Forum May 2012 Updates

VeloCity Festival June 22 to 24

This includes

· Lancaster City Centre Cycling Racing, Friday evening

· BMX demonstration – Morecambe Battery, Sunday

· Go Ride Racing – Saltayre, Saturday

· Family Cycle Rides, from Saltayre at 12.15 on Saturday and Sunday

Further information http://www.lancaster.gov.uk/sports-and-leisure/festivals-events/velocity-festival-programme-events/#jetski

University of Cumbria

This academic year has been the best yet for our staff and student bike loan scheme.  All the bikes have been out on loan and at one point we had a waiting list.  The University and the Students’ Union have done a lot of work to promote the availability of the bikes and this is paying off.  The University are looking at a rolling programme of replacement for the bikes which are now two years old.

In 2009 cycling at our Lancaster campus was running at under 1% mode share.  By March 2011 this had doubled to 2%.  Not big numbers but anecdotal evidence suggests that the number of cyclists is continuing to grow, if slowly.  The proximity of the campus to the city centre means a large number of people get to the campus on foot.

Across the University including Penrith and Cumbria as a whole, 7% of our staff have now used Cycle Scheme to get hold of a bike since we started this in 2009.  The University continue to do things to help cyclists – for example Dr Bike checks and Roadshows.

Potholes

In 2011/12 the Lancashire County Council set a target to fill in 90% of potholes within 30 days of being reported. There are standards on how quickly potholes are filled in according to their depth. The standard was achieved between July 2011 and March 2012. Potholes are picked up by roads being inspected on a regular basis and people reporting potholes.

You can report potholes via the highway fault line http://eforms.lancashire.gov.uk/AF/an/default.aspx/RenderForm/?F.Name=FY26qap_66j

Telephone 0845 053 0011

Like!
0

Lancaster Cycle Forum

Share Button

Following on from the cycling demonstration project, the Lancashire County Council as decide to set up a Lancaster and Morecambe Cycle Forum. The first meeting will be at the Gregson Institute on Moor Lane on Wednesday 26th June at 6pm.

Agenda for the first meeting

  1. Welcome to group and introductions.
  2. Purpose of group –terms of reference.
  3. Review of current situation: Successes of cycling demonstration project. What else do we need to do?
  4. Infrastructure Programme.
  5. Promotional activities, including cycle training.
  6. Activities by employers and cycle groups to promote cycling.

Terms of Reference of the Forum

Aim

To increase cycling levels in the district.

Purpose

1] To enable all types of cyclists.

  • To input into future plans to increase cycle use and safety in the district.
  • To input into cycling, transport, development and other proposals that effect cycling in the district.
  • To input promotional plans.
  • To raise significant issues that are concern to them.

2] To coordinate the activities of the two councils, employers, the third sector and voluntary groups to promote cycling.

3] Review progress in increasing cycle use and improving cycle safety in the district.

Membership

The membership will vary from meeting to meeting, but include: Cycling organisations, Local cycle campaign groups, Cycle Clubs, People who cycle to major employers in the area, Cycle related businesses and Social enterprises, Schools, Major employers and Officers from County and City Councils.

The group also welcomes the views of new and infrequent cyclists, students and young people.

Meeting frequency

The forum will meet 2 or 3 times a year.

So what do you think about this new body for cycling in North Lancashire area? I shall going to the first meeting of forum.

Like!
0